Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bang

Rookie Calgary Buffalo MLA Kent Hehr has put forward a private members bill in an attempt to curb gun violence in Alberta.

What grabbed my attention with this was not so much the obvious politics of an inner city MLA getting tough with gang violence or the merits of the bill. No, what impresses me about this is Hehr's use of new media to build a grass roots campaign to build buzz around his bill. In addition to the obvious facebook group, Hehr has set up a website that collects contact information from interested Albertans and gives you the opportunity to spread the message virally. The e-mail invite directing me to the site was also cc'd to Ed Stelmach automatically, and the site makes it incredibly easy for you to contact your MLA.

So a tip of the hat to Kent Hehr...these sort of the campaigns are certainly the future of politics.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • Hehr is the MLA for Calgary-Buffalo...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:37 a.m.  

  • Corrected.

    By Blogger calgarygrit, at 10:33 a.m.  

  • Kent's idea seems pretty well-intentioned. I'll definitely be supporting it, and I'm glad the Opposition is proposing an idea that everyone should get behind.

    Being that I'm a Poli Sci student, I'm wondering if Ken't bill is already available to read? I had a family member whose friend was injured by gun violence, and I would like to know exactly what guns Ken wants to ban as well as the fine details of the bill when I explain it to him.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:37 p.m.  

  • "these sort of the campaigns are certainly the future of politics.."

    and have been used in the US for years and on some federal issues in Canada

    The campaign would have played nicely paired with Kevin Taft's push for Democratic Renewal ..... sadly, a lost opportunity.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:46 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home