Thursday, September 20, 2007

On Top

The year was 1976. The Canadian dollar and US dollar were on par, Sylvester Stalone played Rocky Balboa in the theaters, the Progressive Conservatives ruled Alberta, and the Toronto Maple Leafs were in a Stanley Cup drought.

The big news today is, of course, the Canadian dollar inching ahead of the US dollar ever so briefly this afternoon. Since Canadians enjoy beating the Americans at anything, this is was probably pretty good for moral and, let's face it, it's been 31 years so it is a fairly newsworthy achievement.

Since I'm not an economist, I don't really know what it means. I guess it means that unfunny "dollar jokes" will need to be altered. So, instead of saying "can I give you an American dollar, that's worth, like, twenty bucks, ha ha", you'll have to lamely say "can I give you an American dollar...you'll owe me a quarter, ha ha" or something of the sort. Apart from that, I'll have to let the economists speculate as to what it means but the economy certainly seems to be rolling along quite nicely so I'm certainly not going to worry about it.

5 Comments:

  • For years I've been prefacing my comments on U.S. blogs with "my 3.5 cents Canadian..." And I'm actually a little sad to have to give that up. :-)

    By Blogger Idealistic Pragmatist, at 12:07 a.m.  

  • Dan, that's the best dollar joke I've heard yet!!

    By Blogger Jacques Beau Vert, at 9:50 a.m.  

  • This is a disaster for the humour industry.

    By Blogger IslandLiberal, at 12:17 p.m.  

  • haha, Leafs suck...

    By Blogger James Bowie, at 4:08 p.m.  

  • Another "factoid": the last time this happened, The Bionic Woman debuted on TV. Now, Bionic Woman is coming back and she's bringing with her a stronger Canadian dollar, it seems.

    By Blogger George, at 3:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home