Monday, December 04, 2006

Back From Montreal

I'll have a more detailed post mortem of the Liberal and PC leadership races once I get a good 30 or 40 consecutive hours of sleep. I would however caution that polls conducted on a Saturday night, after an exciting convention should always be approached with caution.

For now, here are 10 signs you were at the Liberal the Liberal Liberal Convention in Montreal this weekend:

1. You can now text message 40 words a minute.

2. You have 50 button holes in all your shirts, a Gerard Kennedy bandana, Bob Rae balloons, Ken Dryden cookies, and a suitcase full of swag you will probably never wear again.

3. You find yourself spontaneously breaking into chants of "Di-on! Di-on!", "GK all the way!", or "Oh Rae, Oh Rae, Oh Rae, Oh Rae" at work.

4. You find it offensive that you now have to pay for your own alcohol.

5. You've been woken up to "Ted Morton is the man" the past 5 days (this one only applies to the AB youth delegates who I had on my wake-up call list).

6. After spending a week in one of the most beautiful cities in North America, you now feel kind of guilty that you never left the 3 block radius of the convention centre.

7. Still stuck in convention mode, you find yourself saying things like "the only way to stop Iggy is to go for lunch now!" or "unless you wash the dishes, Bob Rae will win this thing!".

8. You've read four separate analyses of the MacLeans poll, all conclusively showing that a different man is the best suited to beat Stephen Harper.

9. You've spent at least 2 hours waiting for your plane to defrost at some point in the past week.

10. You have at least one picture of yourself with Justin Trudeau or something signed by Ken Dryden (hopefully not one of the Liberal thongs they had for sale at the souvenir table).

19 Comments:

  • What about a signed Scott Brison calendar?

    By Blogger Grace, at 2:25 p.m.  

  • I swear those green scarves won it for Dion.

    I'm not even a Liberal and I want one.

    By Blogger sir john a., at 3:04 p.m.  

  • Great post. #7 made me laugh out loud.

    By Blogger Hasty, at 4:51 p.m.  

  • I love the swag one gets from these things. In 03 I picked up a "Clinton & Gore Deserve Four More" button, and more Paul Martin stuff that I care to admit at this time in history.

    By Blogger RGM, at 6:30 p.m.  

  • I wasn't even a Martin delegate in '03 and I think I have 4 Paulberta t-shirts...

    By Blogger calgarygrit, at 6:43 p.m.  

  • #11, youth delegate: You suddenly find that exams start this week and you've done little to no studying.

    By Blogger IslandLiberal, at 7:15 p.m.  

  • I wish I could have been there. Oh well, I'll more than likely be at the next meeting of Liberals en masse. The notion of free beer is making me wish it was tomorrow though.

    By Blogger alkalinecity, at 7:23 p.m.  

  • Thanks for excellent coverage of the convention.

    By Blogger Jay Cables, at 7:37 p.m.  

  • i wasnt a martin delegate or an alberta delegate, but i made away with tons of paulberta shirts that all got emblazoned with faux personal martin autographs/messages in fabric paint and turned into decorative pillows which prettied up a friend's residence room.

    christmas is coming and diy + convention swag = the perfect gift for the politics nerd who has everything. a candidate quilt is a great symbol of party unity and christmas cheer....

    By Blogger ainge lotusland, at 9:39 p.m.  

  • Hilarious!!!! I thought I was the only one waiting two hours for the wings to defrost and finding myself covered in pin holes!

    By Blogger JJ, at 9:57 p.m.  

  • 30 years since I last gazed across Montreal, St. Lambert and Longuiel holding a drink from the Chateau on Mount Royal next to the coin-op binoculars on the stone walled patio.

    Can you still do that? = TG

    By Blogger TonyGuitar, at 11:37 p.m.  

  • The Nova Scotia Martin T's were the best. Scored one in 04. Tried to collect all the provinces.

    I had about 7 offers to buy or take my Iggy Alberta Stetson. 3 Dion supporters offered to vote for Iggy if I gave it to them. Wouldn't have made a difference, I guess... Some cute girl in a bar tried to take it. In perhaps a "mistaken" move I swiped it back...

    By Blogger WesternGrit, at 12:26 a.m.  

  • i wasen't even a Liberal at the time and I somehow have a paulberta shirt in my closet....

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:40 a.m.  

  • Reason #11:

    Your Monday morning post is full of typos.

    [just joking with you CG]

    By Blogger Matthew, at 9:28 a.m.  

  • TG,

    Yes, you can still do that. And it is still a grand view.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 9:32 a.m.  

  • I know blogger Anth is looking for a scarf.

    By Blogger Saskboy, at 11:25 a.m.  

  • And if you're anything like me, you've suddenly got a list of 10 things you absolutely must do to take advantage of the momentum the convention created. That is, 10 things you absolutely must do once finals are over.

    By Blogger Gauntlet, at 11:55 a.m.  

  • By the end, I realized that I had given away almost everything but my buttons. Now I need to collect the gear from all the campaigns!

    By Blogger Jason Cherniak, at 12:36 p.m.  

  • I want a Dion scarf too, they look toasty.

    By Blogger Jacques Beau Vert, at 3:16 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home