Friday, October 07, 2005

The Critics Are Raving

Here's what some bloggers have to say about Martin stealing Ralph Klein's not-so-brilliant refund idea:


Accidental Deliberations:
As is so often the case, though, good politics makes for terrible policy.

Pample The Moose:
But returning it to the taxpayer? What a farce. In Alberta, Ralph Klein can at least point to an absence of provincial debt. But throwing away billions of dollars when you are still in debt doesn't strike me as all that wise.

The Wingnuterer:
Pay off the freaking debt, and start funding things that all Canadians deem important, and stop trying to buy our votes, cause no one is selling. Oh and Harper, are you taking notes?

StageLeft:
One official described it as a “dividend on the performance of the economy.” Interesting spin. In reality, it, and this, amount to nothing short of sleazy bribery of the voters in this country.
[...]
I’d be much happier with the government making a firm commitment to healthcare and the national debt. I might even vote for them under those circumstances. If I get a rebate cheque, I will give it to charity and vote for another party.

Daveberta:
To see our opinion, click here, and replace 'provincial' with 'federal,' '$400' with '$133,' and 'Ralph Klein's Tories' with 'Paul Martin's Liberals,' etc, etc, etc...


What should be noted is that the blogs I linked to above are all fairly progressive. With the exception of My Blahg, I couldn't find a single centre or left wing blog that supported the plan. Maybe this will get Martin some votes on the right but I strongly suspect voters will see through this plan for what it is - a cynical ploy to buy votes. Even in Alberta, support was only 50/50 for Klein's giveaway. I'd love to see one of the opposition parties be gutsy enough to oppose this.

10 Comments:

  • WOW, the Wingnuterer being quoted as a progressive and reliable opinion blog. Gee, I'll have to post double silliness to make up for it now.

    The interesting thing is the various Blogging Tories claim it is vote buying and seem t think the we progressives are just keeping quiet about it. You observation is correct, very very few (actually I haven't seen one yet, except for My Blagh) center or left of center bloggers think this is good idea. Most would rather see more debt reduction or increased funding to things like healthcare, education and so on.

    It seems to me that left of center and center are conservative the CPC Harper-Bots.

    Thanks for the link ;-)

    By Blogger Zorpheous, at 9:08 a.m.  

  • When I brought up the point that I thought both $$ plans were good politics but shitty policy on a right wing blog I was immeadiately jumped on. Apparently Ralph was being noble, Martin is just playing politics. Just me or does the right wing lack introspective?

    Don

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:30 a.m.  

  • QuebecHarpermaniac says:

    Hi Don,

    I think you're right. However:

    Ralph's cheque is a one time thing.

    Martin's cheque is every year from now until eternity.

    So they are different and imply different things.

    I'm not saying either plan should be panned or lauded.

    But they are different.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:14 p.m.  

  • No Charlie they don't. There're easy and visionless ways to buy votes. If oil remains high, and given the current state of refinery ability, i believe it will, bet that whoever the alberta premier happens to be, the same political wisdom will be revisited.

    Don

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:26 p.m.  

  • QuebecHarpermaniac says:

    Don,

    "No Charlie, they don't"

    They don't what?

    I mean, I'm happy you think they are both visionless, because they are.

    Did you mean "they aren't"? As in they aren't different?

    Maybe you're right. I thought one proposal was a one-time cheque and the other is a new, ongoing way to manage the country's finances.

    I defer to your knowledge of the Alberta experience.

    Agreed on oil price.

    ps. I feel like Spiderman, all decked out in his costume, and you go off and call me Peter Parker. "Charlie" makes me feel naked... :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:58 p.m.  

  • The difference between Ralph's cheque & PMPM's cheque(s) are (a) Alberta has no debt (b) Alberta has upped spending to the point where Albertans are calling Ralph a Liberal (because I guess even Albertans have forgotten that Ralph CUT spending lo those many years ago to pay off the debt and we have a sh*tload of infrastructure that needs upgrading or replacing) (c) Ralph has already stated his intention to retire, so could probably give a rat's patootie as to whether anyone in AB votes for him again (d) Ralph didn't announce the cheques until all the eastern papers & news "pundits" 'warned' Alberta not to rub the rest of Canada's nose in it, so OF COURSE he had to (e) Ralph's spare change is coming from ROYALTIES on oil rather than personal income taxes (or a combo of personal/corporate, whichever the case of the feds may be), and AB doesn't have a sales tax so there's no double-taxing going on (f) Ralph has a strangle-hold on power already, unlike Martin.

    For the record, I'll be supporting CPC federally & SPA provincially, but will happily cash any cheque sent to me by either Ralph or Martin and put it immediately into (a) my daughter's RESP (my 400 which will magically be matched by the feds so I'll earn 100% on it) and (b) the economy (as she gets to designate, within reason, the spending of "her" 400).

    By Blogger Candace, at 1:34 a.m.  

  • Candace: How much is the tuition to Bob Jones University these days?

    Don

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:15 a.m.  

  • Don - I haven't a clue. I'm hoping that Alberta will separate & SPA will implement the free-tuition-if-you-work-here-for-5-yrs plan.

    But not being a complete idiot, using the RESP as a backup plan.

    By Blogger Candace, at 2:56 p.m.  

  • QuebecHarpermaniac asks:

    Don, how much is Al-Quaeda charging for two weeks training these days?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:33 p.m.  

  • Pretty helpful material, thanks so much for the article.

    By Anonymous muebles majadahonda, at 3:03 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home