Friday, July 29, 2005

Volpe Mania

I had two readers e-mail me in response to the leadership post, with comments which I loosely translated to be saying: “Joe Volpe for Liberal leader? I thought the Liberals were against euthanasia.”

But, yes, Mr. Volpe appears to be serious about running. And since nothing short of a Jean Lapierre leadership run would be more hilarious than seeing Big Joe throw his hat into the ring, I’ve given his campaign team their first eight slogans, free of charge:


“Yes, I’m a serious candidate. Don’t laugh.”

“Loyal to the leader since 2004”

“Being in Cabinet has nothing to do with my flip-flop on gay marriage”

“Only he can defeat the Klansmen”

“Hey, if Belinda Stronach is a serious leadership contender, why not?”

“Joe Who?”

“Romanian Strippers at every campaign stop!”

“Not only will I ban the Sopranos in Canada, I’ll ban Joey!”


KINDA AN UPDATE: As Anonymous mentioned in the other leadership thread, I've also heard the rumour that Volpe has never worn a pair of jeans in his life. Apparently that's why he refused to don them when he came out to the Stampede. And you think Harper has image problems...

5 Comments:

  • I'll vote for him if he does get rid of Joey!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:07 p.m.  

  • "A Prime Minister who'll make every Canadian feel better. Than the Prime Minister."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:20 p.m.  

  • I doubt if he can even carry GTA. I hear that his office in T.O. and Ottawa are very uncooperative and that has left several organisers in ethnic communties unhappy, which means he won't be able to more than a handful of ridings in GTA. He is not in my list of serious contenders, but there is one person in the current cabinet, who's people have approached a few of us and I think he stands a good chance;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:40 p.m.  

  • I can't possibly imagine Volpe is in it to win. But I suppose he figured he can win enough delegates in the GTA to be a king maker in a vote that goes several ballots. I sort of see it coming down to a final showdown on the 4th ballot with Cauchon/Bevilacqua/maybeDion/maybeIgnatieff standing behind Manley and Volpe/McKenna/maybesomeonelikeGoodale standing behind Brison. But obviously it's too early to speculate on stuff like that. These things have a way of taking on a life of their own.

    By Blogger calgarygrit, at 2:00 p.m.  

  • If a man wearing a prison uniform on his TV commercials can be Mayor of a City for 25 years successfully, I can see Mr Volpe do a great job running this country.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:22 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home