Sunday, June 06, 2004

Indecent Exposure

Boy, that Stephen Harper sure does want Canadians to see his platform. Waits until a Saturday when few people care about the news and few papers publish the next day. And if papers are published on Sunday, I'm going to wager they'll be showing stories on:

1. 60th Anniversary of D-Day
2. Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals which could have (but didn't) featured the first win by a Canadian team in a decade.
3. A sure shot triple crown (which also didn't happen)

I guess Harper had nothing to do with Reagan's death (right???) so you can't fault him on that, but it does mean his platform will get pushed back another page in the paper. Sort of reminds me when Martin declared his first batch of contributors during the Liberal leadership race...on September 11th, 2002. Gosh, I wonder what the media would be devoting their coverage to that day, eh?

The weird thing is...the Conservatives actually have a pretty good platform. There's nothing scary in it, and I think it will appeal to a lot of voters. So I don't see why they'd want to hide it. Especially since the Liberals will be screaming about a "hidden agenda" for the rest of the campaign.

I guess the Tories are set to run a frontrunner's campaign. And given the way things are going, that's probably not a terrible idea.